Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog asleep in feeding station!!

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog asleep in feeding station!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Early this evening I went to top up the bowl in the hedgehog station and was very surprised to find a hog in there asleep on his side…..I’ve never had this before. He has clearly been there since last night. I lifted him out and he curled up into a ball. I placed him in some straw in an adjacent hog house so that I could clean out the bowl which he had pooed in. I checked him later and he was asleep again.

I’ve just spotted him on the camera he has come out of the house for a drink and then has gone back in.

I’m just hoping he is ok….he seems alert.

hello,I’m sure the hedgehog is ok, he’s probably just having a rest. we have about 4 or 5 in our garden and we have a gap between our conservatory and fence and they are always going in there to take a nap and a few hours later they will be out scoffing down the food again. if you are concerned you can call your local hedgehog or wildlife sanctuary for more advice on what to do. hope he’s ok .

Rosie 🙂

Nic

Hi gordon-debra

Don’t worry, it’s quite normal for hogs to fall asleep in feeding boxes. I have had them before who stayed a couple of days. One even took a minimal amont of bedding in there the second night. It might be a bit inconvenient but it’s probably best to just leave them be. You were lucky that one went back to sleep again, it may have wandered off to try to find somewhere else.

I had one once who made a full elaborate nest right on top of a bowl which stilll had food in it! I had to get another box for feeding at the time.

It sounds as if the hog there has taken to the box you put him in so seems like a good outcome.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog