Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog asleep in food bowl!

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehog asleep in food bowl!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We have a smallish hedgehog visiting our feeding station (upturned plastic box with doorway cut at each end) every night who seems to have developed a habit of eating half the food then falling asleep with his nose in the bowl – often for a couple of hours or so! Sometimes he finishes it before leaving and sometimes comes back later as its almost always gone in the morning. We have seen a large hog with him so not sure how many visit but we think this one lives in the garden.
    I have seen him having a snooze outside the feeding station too but he seems to just drop off with his head in the bowl now. With well meant intentions of feeding him up for hibernation I wonder are we making him lazy, has anyone else seen similar behaviour?
    He often appears asleep with his eyes open, is this normal?

Nic

Hi Margaret

I have found that hogs sometimes sleep in feeding boxes, but not necessarily with their noses in the bowl! Also sounds slightly odd if his eyes are open. If you are concerned about him you could talk about it to your nearest carer and take their advice. You can give them a fuller picture of how he is otherwise and they can ask any relevant questions. You can find contact details of your nearest carer from the BHPS on 01584 890801.

Good luck. I hope he is o.k.

Hi Margaret, I know that when I make a noise when our hedgehog is present, & he sees me, he stands stock still for long periods and only moves if I’ve gone back into my house. Yours maybe hears & sees you.

Hope that helps!

Alexis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog