Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Awareness Week 2021 – May 2nd – 8th

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog Awareness Week 2021 – May 2nd – 8th

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The dates for this years Hedgehog Awareness Week has been announced.
    It runs from the 2nd May – 8th May.

This year the BHPS is aiming to encourage people to create a hedgehog haven in their garden.

I was wondering if fellow Hedgehog Street residents were planning on joining in this year and if so what were you going to do?

I usually deliver the BHPS leaflets through neighbour’s doors but I think this year I may post some links to our local eco groups social media channels and also we have a group on the next door website that is quite active. Hopefully then I will get a bit more feedback from people as I have only had a couple of people contact me when I have done the leaflet drop. One never bothered replying to me after she first got in contact, but the other a retired gentleman further down the road I am in regular contact with, and we are always communicating about ‘our’ hedgehogs and birds which is really nice 🙂

Have you made any plans?

Aw that’s so nice. I have a neighbour who I chat to about hedgehogs (although hedgehogs are pretty sparse in my village).
    I normally do a leaflet drop but, same as you, I’m not sure people would be particularly receptive this year to it.
    I thought instead about seeing if I could put some up on the local notice boards and contact the local gardening group and WI.

I did wonder about writing to a few of the local groups to see if they would like to put together info packs for their members. I am also considering writing something to go in the local free papers – we shall see.
    I really want to do a little fundraiser but haven’t quite figured out how to go about it yet….

I always love hearing about what other people are doing as some of the best ideas come from just having a chat.

Hi Leanne
    Sorry just logged on and seen your reply, I wish the forum did notifications!
    Some good ideas there, I’ll have to have a look on the Hedgehog Highways Facebook group (set up by Hugh Warwick) to see if there are any champions on there discussing what they are doing.
    Sadly I’ve had no signs of any hedgehogs in my garden yet, which is unusual.
    Suzanne

Hi Leanne,
    I have a local village newsletter and I have written a short piece mainly focusing on things people can do to encourage hogs and make their garden safe and welcoming for them (Ideas from PTES, BHPS and Hedgehog Street). I have also referred to hedgehog awareness week and as it should appear in the May edition- will be good timing as I had planned on writing a piece before I knew about the awareness week. It goes out via email and paper copy and generally on the village website too. Not written for it before but my neighbour suggested it so I hope it’s well received.

Thank you for posting this. I didn’t realise there was a Hedgehog Awareness week. You have given me some ideas for a local leaflet to generate more awareness in our village. Thanks again.

Hello, I also didn’t realise about the awareness in hedgehogs We have one small one visiting since last year. We told our neighbour next door, who enjoys wildlife & saved one hoggie from the main road.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog