Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog awareness week

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog awareness week

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi All

I have my bhps leaflets ready for hedgehog awareness week which I have been doing for the last few years.
    I normally just post in my own road, but a couple of years ago i did the adjacent road as well also putting my email on to tell people I was the hedgehog street champion. One reply out of over 100!

I feel like I need to keep targeting my road as we have hedgehogs, and I want to keep reminding people of that and that I am here!
    Although another part of me thinks I should perhaps target other roads?
    What do others do?

Dear Suzynic
    we are planning for the first time to have an open morning to help raise awareness of hogs in our village. We think that as the village becomes more house dense (gardens built in etc) we run the risk of hog decline. I already think we have a split population as there is a road down the middle of the village and am not sure how well the population is doing on the other side.
    anyway we are going to use our garden as a model – so will put up some posters around the village advertising for May 12th, we have 2 hobgitats, a woodpile then have leaflets, will try to run the talk on a laptop and just see who turns up – will try and make some hog biscuits! Will let you all know how it goes!. May be the trick is to try and lure people in with an offer of food – I don’t know but am happy to give it a go this year.
    all best
    Lesley

Hi Suzynic, Lesley,

I know what you mean about the poor responses. I think the problem is that people lead such busy lives these days, they just don’t realise that the hogs are there. We only realised that we had hogs in the garden 3 years ago and we have lived here for 24 years!

I think the open morning is a fantastic idea Lesley. I spotted an article the other day on how to make very simple origami hedgehog bookmarks, if you want to keep any children entertained. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/544231936204032101/
    🙂

Wow Lesley that sounds great, good luck! Where is your village?
    Suzanne

I agree Penny, too busy and wrapped up in their own lives. Which sometimes seems to be a rather selfish existence at times! Ah the world today!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog