Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog become inactive – Hibernation or concern?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog become inactive – Hibernation or concern?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We found a hedgehog in the garden in early December – laying in the grass during the week where everything was covered in a thick layer of sleet/ice.

Weighed 500g so we took it in the house for a few days, then put it outside in a covered hutch with a generous amount of hay for nesting and gave it a decent meal twice a day/unlimited access to water.

4 weeks on and it’s now 580g which is good – It was very responsive, had no visible ticks etc, and finished all of its food every day. Bedroom area is nice and clean/dry and when I picked it up for a weigh in each week it was nice and warm in its underparts.

Noticed today it hadn’t touched any of its food after ~10 hours which was odd, so I opened the bedroom area and it let out a few loud snorts. I was concerned so I took it out for a weigh in and it curled up the tighest I have ever seen/snorted a few times when I picked it up.

Put it back next to the food bowl with fresh food in and nearly 3 hours later it was still sitting there in the exact same spot curled up which is very unlike it, completely still and if I poked a spine it shuddered.

I picked it up and put it back in the bed area where it was originally / covered it over with some hay as it was, and it made a loud snorting sound when I touched it to pick it up again.

The evenings haven’t been particularly any colder than they have the last couple of weeks – Should I be concerned or is it possible it has closed up shop to hibernate for a bit?

Also unsure if taking it in was the correct choice – I since learned that the recommended advice has changed in recent years on how to treat wild hedgehogs you find…Since I was younger I was always told if they are under 600-650g during winter months they are unlikely to survive.

Nic

Hi eric1234

It sounds as if it might be a good idea to have a chat with a hog carer/rehabilitator and take their advice – you can explain things more fully to them and they can ask questions, etc.

You can find details of your nearest ones from BHPS on 01584 890801.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog