Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Chirping

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog Chirping

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Could be as I guess the hog rut maybe seasonal like deers.

Yes the hog eating in the background seemed to keep glancing over to the hog fight going on about 2/3 feet away as though he was making sure they were fully occupied while he tucked in and he wasn’t going to get a bashing too – very amusing!

It would be great to see some hoglets this year. I saw some in 2016 but none last year although speaking to the people in the adjacent allotments they had seen a few.

It does worry me how sucessful or otherwise my local hogs are doing on the hoglet front as of course without new blood coming through then the population will start to fall

Hope you get to see some hoglets too.

Nic

Hi Hogmeister

Although, some people do tend to talk about the hedgehog rut in May, it isn’t really like the deer rut. That is probably just the busiest time. In fact in can go on all Summer to a lesser degree. It just tends to go quieter if some of the females are off having and rearing youngsters. There were a couple of hogs ‘courting’ here last night.

Sounds typical a hog taking advantage of the others being too busy to notice him! I can just picture the ‘glancing over’! He may have been a less dominant hog, who the others didn’t think was any competition.

Re. hoglets. I have found that they don’t turn up here until they are more independent. I have only once seen a couple following their Mum. I wonder whether Mum doesn’t bring them here when they are smaller because there are often males around. Having said that, I have always found that all the males have impeccable manners with the hoglets and will let them get away with completely taking a food bowl over. If there have been some hoglets nearby to you that is good and will, hopefully, keep the population going. So far this year the nearest I’ve seen to a hoglet is some suspiciously small hog poos. I am hopeful that there are some and they have just developed their invisibility talents at an early age!

Going back to the name of your topic, I kept hearing some noises from the ‘courting’ hogs last night, in between the female huffing (not sure which, they were hidden in the undergrowth) which sounded (each one) a bit like a single quack! (as opposed to the quack, quack, quack that ducks do). Not sure of the significance, but shortly after that he gave up and returned to feeding.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog