Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog family helping me through…

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog family helping me through…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I was diagnosed with cancer this year (for the 2nd time in my life). Being unable to maintain my garden after major surgery has a small yet gorgeous blessing! I started chemotherapy a couple of weeks ago and have had the delight of a Mother hedgehog with two babies visit my garden late ever and at night. They have helped lift my spirits through this arduous time and I hope will visit regularly throughout my treatment (4.5 months). They’re loving the dry cat food and drinking from the water bowl. I’m blessed to see them ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi Phoenix15,

So sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time, I know exactly where you are coming from. What a treat to have a mother and hoglets visit your garden. Our garden and the wildlife in it has helped me though some tough times and continues to do so…if only it could be bottled! Even when the hogs vanish for a few nights, there is always something to make me smile, like the blackbird who flattens himself out on the lawn like a fan sunbathing or the young squirrels, up to no good, who run for cover whenever I open the back door! I hope the hedgehog family continue to visit and put a smile on your face. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Penny xxx

The power of nature to sooth and refresh is much underestimated! Well done on having hoglets to entertain you and good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Nic

Hi phoenix15

So pleased to hear that you have a hedgehog AND hoglets to cheer your way through chemo. I agree, they really are such a delight to watch. I hope all goes well and that you continue to have many happy hours hog watching.

Thank you Penny, DwarfHog and Nic for your kind wishes and lovely sentiments. It’s a tough experience indeed yet seeing the hedgehogs visit nightly I feel privileged. I’ve always loved the calm and tranquillity nature brings…and sitting here on my back doorstep listening to the hogs rustling in my little garden makes me smile. Boy! are they noisy eaters! No table manners at all! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

There is no doubting the therapeutic effect that contact with small animals gives us. Whilst they cannot be petted like furry kittens or puppies, hoglets provide plenty of entertainment as they scurry around, and we know that we are doing our small bit to help an animal endangered largely by man.

Wishing you a successful course of chemo, it is now three years since my sister rang the bell at the hospital to mark the end of her treatment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog