Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Family

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog Family

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hedgehog Behaviour.
    We have a couple of Hogs in our garden. One has started to stay close to the hole, the other leaves the hole in the evening and goes out of our garden. It often returns early morning, before dawn. Between them they can eat a cat bowl heaped with food.
    The hog which stays close to the hole, exhibits some strange behaviour. It rubs back and forth along the ground, then seems to puff itself into a huge ball shakes and then repeats. It can do this a couple of times. Any one else seen similar behaviour?.
    They definitely share the hole during the day though.

Hi GladewoodChris,

Sounds to me like you have a male trying to protect his patch. Males often seem to rub there chins along the ground just before any argy bargy! I would be a bit concerned if they are using the hole during the day though when they should be tucked up in bed!

When I say hole, I mean Hedgehog house. If I’m right though, it’s the female who is exhibiting the behaviour. Usually the male has gone out by this time, he doesn’t return until it’s time for bed in the early morning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog