Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

hedgehog food

Home Forums Hedgehog tales hedgehog food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hedgehog Food

An article in the Daily Mail Weekend magazine of 20th April says hedgehogs should be fed meaty cat biscuits, meaty cat & dog food food or special hedgehog mix. They should not be fed bread, milk, nuts, mealworms or sunflower seeds.

‘My’ hedgehogs have turned up their snouts at cat biscuits and premium hedgehog food from the RSPB shop and for the past two years have supplemented what natural food they find with peanuts which I put out each evening. Last night I saw two adults & what I presume to be one of last year’s hoglets all at the food station. They eat a handful of nuts each a night & so far they seem to have come to no harm.

Hi Florence,
    I am not an expert but the new thinking is that meal worms nuts etc can in the long term damage the hedgehog bones. They lovvveeee these things and can get an addiction. I have asked about this previously and it is advisable to wean the hedgehogs off slowly.
    There is a feeding guide on this site.
    I had about 4 or 5 hedgehogs last year and 3 so far this year and they are very happily eating ARK hedgehog food.
    Re milk- Again as much as they like it hedgehogs are lactose intolerant and it can give them a very bad tummy upset.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Many thanks, I did wonder what the thinking was behind the ‘no nuts’ advice but will try to gradually wean them off the nuts now. I’ll give the ARK food a try again although it hasn’t been well received in the past. Failing that, it’ll be tinned dog meat again.
    Very grateful for the advice, thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog