Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog garden access issue

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog garden access issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I’m about to finish my hedgehog feeding station, however I’ve run into a bit of a problem. The ground level on the other side of my garden fence is slightly lower (about 20 cm) that the garden itself (where I plan to place the station). I’m thinking of building a ramp with gradual incline (around 10 degrees with sides so they don’t step off) and this ramp would lead from the hole in the fence into the bushes on the other side of the fence. But how likely is that wild hedgehogs are actually going to use this ramp? An alternative solution is to place the feeding station on the other side of the fence on the ground, however, sometimes random people find their way from the adjacent park into the bushes and I’m not a big fan of that.

I would say yes they would take a look at this video of a much higher ramp in use.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5MPGevkd0

I’m sure a ramp would work if the gradient is only 10 degrees, maybe add some sort of non slip material to it if it’s made of smooth wood. Does the ground fall away steeply? Hedgehogs can climb so you may not need to do anything or you could build the gap up with turf, soil or small logs.

You could make steps also, I made these…

https://youtu.be/OAiYlR1omEY

That climb is seriously impressive, haha.
    Bushsnuffler – the ground does fall away but slightly, maybe some 3 cm difference. The overall height isn’t much higher than yours so I think I’m going to roll with stairs because I needed to overcomplicate things and tinker with the idea of a ramp.

Thank you both for helping me out!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog