Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs hibernating in Glasgow Scotland?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs hibernating in Glasgow Scotland?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi guys im a newbie to this site and excited to learn more about hedgehogs.. about 3 werks ago and even as late as two weeks ago i had an array of hedgehogs coming to eat in my garden and they woukd have a wee snooze in my 3 houses and theyve ate here everynight for months but ladt Thursday it got quite icy here and the number if hedgehogs only visiting the last 3 days has been one smaller hedgehog. My other hedgehogs were absolutely huge and there was a couple of other medium sized ones but this one that now bisits in its own still comes every night on his own for 3 nights now. So my question is do you guys think theyve went into hibernation as i am worried my little visitors and that they are safe and heathy or maybe they have food a better food source than im offering and iv become a little obsessed with my hedgehog visitors and watch them on my camera every opportunity and if they have went into hibernation, i wont know what to do with my time in the evenings, I look after all my birds in my area and love all wildlife to be fair. But hedgehogs will always have a wee special place in my heart.. Thanks guys for any information you can give me regarding hibernation in Glasgow in Scotland at this time of year in November 2021… Xx

Nic

Hi Paulinegreen

Welcome to the Forum! Don’t worry most of us end up becoming a bit obsessed about the hogs!

If those hogs have been visiting you regularly, it seems more likely that they have gone to hibernate than that they’ve found another food source. Hogs tend to visit several gardens anyway, so if they were still out and about would likely still visit yours. Fingers crossed that they have a successful hibernation. Hibernation is always a worrying time, but we just have to hope for the best that they will return safe and well in the Spring.

It’s possible the one still visiting has decided not to hibernate. Not all hogs hibernate and that’s ok, but if so, just keep leaving food out for it. Water is best left available all day every day, anyway, including through the winter. Hogs are known to emerge from hibernation for short periods and may welcome a drink. You may want to leave some dry i.e. cat/kitten biscuits out all winter, even once/if they’ve all hibernated. A hog from elsewhere might turn up at any time so the food would be useful for that even if not for your regular visitors.

Good luck to all the hogs there. I hope they all do well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog