Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog & hibination

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog & hibination

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Over the couple of months I have noticed that I have a hedgehog visit my garden most night I have been putting out hedgehog food and since then they come every night & he / she always eats the food, my question is when is the best time for a hedgehog house to go down in my garden as I don’t want the hedgehog too go into hibernation to early
    I know they normally go into hibernation around October / November

Nic

Hi Chezzy

You can put a hedgehog house at any time. It won’t make any difference to when the hedgehogs decide to hibernate. If you already have one, I would put it in place as soon as possible. Some of the males disappear to hibernate during September – the females usually later, but timing is a bit variable. The hedgehogs sometimes take a while to accept a box, so the sooner the better, really. But there is no guarantee that the hedgehogs will use it immediately. My boxes weren’t used by sleeping hogs until they had been in place for a year or more, but you might be lucky and they use yours earlier.

Good luck.

It’s the old case of you can never tell a hedgehog what to do! If however you offer them something which is better than they already have then they may just take it. So, pop a house out now and make it somewhere that is warmer and cosier than a pile of leaves under a bush and they will certainly investigate it. Put some dust free hay in it (using gloves so it doesn’t pick up your scent) and put it somewhere out of the wind and preferably somewhere it won’t get disturbed. Provide some nest making material outside (more hay, dry leaves, small twigs etc) – basically make it an easy option for them – and they might just make an offer on the property.

I’ve been lucky and the first house I installed was only on the market for 2 days and it was sold (subject to contract). Last year I put in two new luxury bungalows (from Riverside Woodcraft) in mid-summer and they were both used on short term tenancies during the summer before both were sold for the winter. They’ve not had many tenants this summer but this week I have refurbed both with fresh hay and viewings have already taken place.

you made me smile Williamc! my hog house has been viewed several times during the summer and has had short-stay holiday lets but no permanent resident yet. Its tucked away under a hedge – getting to take a peek is an adventure in itself – with fresh hay and extra bedding if they want to make their own. As you say hopefully they will find it easier than having to make do with a pile of leaves – although we have those as well.
    Interesting last night that hogs came pretty well consistently from just after 8 through to just after 5 – not sure if they were different or just one or two making frequent visits to the food bowl! Anyway, several ‘gifts’ of hedgehog poo this morning!! Im such a lucky girl!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog