Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Highways

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog Highways

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,
    I have recently moved into a house with a garden and want to make it hedgehog friendly. Unfortunately, at the base of our fence which goes all around the garden, there is a concrete base 🙁 around 25-30cm high. Before I start trying to convince my new neighbours to allow me to attempt to put holes in this concrete I would just like to know if the concrete is too high for a hedgehog to climb if I just put a hole in the fence.
    I hope this makes sense. I get on well with one of my neighbours but I do not know the other two so I’m a bit nervous to approach them about the issue!
    Many thanks

Hi Sparkle85, we have concrete bases and posts with no fence in at the moment. My husband has told me many times that hedgehogs can’t climb, which is why some keep tipping dishes over! However, on seeing one on the grass last year I went out with some treat biscuits I keep for when I come across one. After feeding it decided to run off, straight over the concrete base, no messing. If it was a smaller one it may have a problem, so, how about putting some brick steps up to the fence! Of course your neighbour would have to do the same if willing. Best of luck.

Hi,
    If they are gravel boards that sit on the earth rather than patio, we have made holes under the gravel boards by digging some earth away. Works perfectly.

Hi Sparkle85, just to confirm – hedgehogs can climb – they are in fact quite good at climbing, (little Houdini’s if you try and keep them in any sort of captive state – for their own good of course!) although they will always go for the easiest option first. you could position a hole at the bottom of the fence, above the gravel board and build up either side or you can get a mechanical device, probably hire one, that will drill a perfect hole through walls and concrete etc,. Hugh Warwick was showing one of these off when he was promoting the Hedgehog Highway theme again a few weeks ago.
    You could burrow underneath as suggested by Simbo65 – as once the hogs have a route they will keep it in working order through regular use and return to it the year after also. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for the responses! I will see if cutting a hole in one of the fence boards makes any difference. The steps idea sounds great – I think my friendly neighbours would like the idea also but not sure about the neighbours I’ve not really spoken to yet. I’ll keep you all updated!
    Thanks again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog