Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

hedgehog hole to keep out chihuahua

Home Forums Champions’ chat hedgehog hole to keep out chihuahua

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

hello, I’ve moved into a new house and found hedgehogs visiting my garden and would like to make a hole through the fence but my neighbours have a tiny chihuahua which my dog doesn’t like so I can’t open up the gardens easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hog only hole, This dog is minute, I want to try it in the fence 13x13cm template if I see it fits but I fear it will walk through. Its very agile and can do a standing jump our 3 ft fence. I can’t see any solutions but I thought I would ask incase anyone had overcome similar issue.

I could make a hole that only opens at night when my dog is in but the is a bit risky incase we forget to close it.

Hi

Wow, that must be a very small chihuahua. My sister has one and he’s more fluff than anything but is too lazy to want to try and get through a hole in the fence (especially with a dog on the otherwise as he is a wimp – all bark, no bite).

The only thing I can think of is putting the hole in a different side of your fence if possible.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

thanks, I have a hole in the back and other side, I’m hoping they can still get around the neighbourhood.

You could try putting a drainpipe through the hole. The hog will use it but I don’t know how keen the dog will be. Worth a try

yes I need to test the dog, I’m not sure how it will go with drainpipe. I fear it is a bit of a Houdini dog but worth a try. Maybe quite long like 1 metre or with a bend in ! Would that be hog friendly still?

Nic

Hi Rebecca

I’ve never tried a drainpipe, but I see it’s been a while and no-one else has answered. I would think a 1 metre would be a bit long – I would be worried that a large hog might get stuck in that.

Not sure how much trouble you want to go to, but I had what is, maybe, a bit of a whacky idea. You know the entrances to some hog boxes, where they go in the door and are met with a wall in front of them so have to turn immediately left or right. Normally cats, and I imagine dogs find that a bit tricky. But maybe just sticking a piece of wood in front of the hole so that the dog was met by an obstacle but the hog could quite happily turn left or right? You could even put up more than one ‘baffle’ if it is a Houdini dog? But maybe, if you wanted to, you could make a sort of posh hog ‘lobby’ with something like that in it? Just an idea – never actually tried it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog