Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog home

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog home

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have hedgehogs visiting regularly. I have left areas of my moderately sized garden wild with log/branch and leaf piles. Also I have a hog house which up until recently has been regularly used as a sleeping den (it has a mixture of straw and dry leaves inside and I do occasionally clean it out between visits!)
    Also nearby is a feeding station -I also scatter a mixture of Arks hedgehog food/ cat biscuits around the garden.
    Hedgehogs are still visiting the garden (I have a wild life camera to keep and eye out) but for some reason have not used the house or feeding station for the last 3-4 weeks. Any ideas as to why?

Nic

Hi Wildone

I have noticed your post hasn’t been answered for ages. It may be because it is in the Carers section and I am not sure everyone looks there. It might be better to put it in ‘Champion’s Chat’ or ‘Hedgehog Signs and Sightings’ another time – you might get a speedier response! There tends to be more activity there.

It sounds as if you are doing all the right things for the hogs with wood/leaf piles etc. Hogs do tend to move their sleeping place from time to time. But, maybe you are being a bit too houseproud? Or perhaps they just wanted a change. You might like to check out
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/cleaning-out-boxes/

It may be that the hogs are finding enough food away from your feeding area, both wild and what you are scattering around. The main thing is that they are still visiting your garden. If they are finding plenty of wild food, that is brilliant – that is what they need, more than being fed. They do seem to like being unpredictable so are just as likely to turn up at the feeding station again one night.

My husband has built 2 hedgehog houses as we have 2 hedgehogs in our garden for months. I have put hay in both and feed them every night. They go in and out of both houses from around 7 until 4am but then go back to where they are nesting, unfortunately in a wood pile that we need to get rid of. Will they eventually hibernate in the houses or is there anything I can do to encourage them to stay ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog