Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog house

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog house

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Don’t use the basket type hedgehog houses as foxes can overturn them. You need something more secure. I have filmed a fox attacking a hedgehog that was in a basket type house even though it had been secured down with tent pegs.

Nic

Yes, if you have those hogilo type hog houses, you do need to make sure they are really well secured. I think some tent pegs are longer than others and I would imagine several would be needed, unless the hog house is pushed under and being partially held down by, for example, branches from a bush. Even in areas where there are no foxes, dogs could also upturn them.

There have also been reports that some of those hog homes aren’t always very well built with loose wires, etc. which the hogs could get caught in or otherwise injured, so need to be carefully checked for any hazards.

But, if you can afford one, wooden boxes/houses are probably best and can also be cleaned out with boiling water to kill any parasite eggs which may end up there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog