Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog house

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog house

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, I recently placed a hedgehog house and feeding station in my garden. This was due to seeing numerous hedgehogs over the past few years on my estate and in my back garden. When I placed the hedgehog house I didn’t know lots about them and didn’t realise it would be in full sun where it is. The problem I have now is that I have a hedgehog nesting in the box and could possibly have babies in there. It comes for food each evening and looks healthy. My concern is I now cannot move the house and worried the poor thing will die of heat stroke. I have even put a parasol out today to shade the hedgehog house. Can anyone suggest anything I could do as I’m presuming you can’t move a house while it has a resident?
    Thanks
    Nicola

My simplistic thought would be that if the hog was uncomfortable in its residence that it would move. Last year I had a mother move her 5 hoglets into one of my Hog houses. Presumably the hoglets were born in another nest/home somewhere in the area but the mother came across a vacant house and spent the next few months raising her young there. I have five purpose built houses and currently two of them are occupied. I am hoping that the others will be filled following the breeding season, but who knows. Maybe they might prefer a home built by themselves under some scrub vegetation. At the end of the day they are not relying on you to provide them a home and they will either take up residence that suits them and leave if they are not comfortable. Just my opinion of course.

Nic

Hi Nicola

I love that you have been using a parasol to shelter the hog house! I had a similar problem a while back where a hog took up residence in a food box which was in full sun during the day. I used to put a plastic table over it to shelter it from the sun, but luckily the hog didn’t stay for long.

I think alanfrew is right, the hog will move if it doesn’t like it, or possibly, if it’s a male, just because they are inclined to move sleeping places more often. I would leave it until you are sure it has been vacated and then move it to a more suitable location. But if it was me, I would continue to try to shade it from the sun on very hot days, if you can.

Also, make sure you always leave a supply of water – all day every day – preferably in the shade. So the hog can at least get a drink if it gets hot.

You could of course get another hog house, so that the hog has the option to move into that.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog