Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog house… when to clean?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog house… when to clean?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi..
    About 6 years ago I built a hog house… someone moved in within 48 hours and it has been occupied ever since and they are clearly, breeding. My question… should I be cleaning it out and, if so, when? As far as I can see, it has never not been occupied, except, maybe, in the dead of night when the family are off on their travels.
    And, if I do clean it out whilst they are otherwise occupied, do I need to leave a bit of old bedding and put in some straw?

Nic

Hi MarkUK

It seems a bit strange that the box has never been unoccupied in 6 years. Hogs normally change nests from time to time, not least to minimise problems from external parasites. Do you have a camera which checks whether the box is occupied?

It is normally recommended to clean out the boxes in the Spring and Autumn. Here is a link
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cleaning-out-boxes/

But really if there is a time when you are sure that the box isn’t occupied – by which I mean, not just that the inhabitants have gone out for the night, but if no-one is in residence at all, in the daytime either.

If you do get a chance to clean it out, you could put a small amount of fresh bedding in, but many hogs prefer to take in their own bedding and arrange it to their satisfaction, so you may like to leave a pile of suitable material nearby. i.e. leaves, long grasses, hay, etc.

Good luck.

Hi Nic
    No, I do not have a camera (thinking of getting one but more to check who is taking the food) but the area leading to the box is always well trodden and a little trail of debris into the entrance.
    But will continue to check.. easy enough to put a small twig across the entrance.
    I have provided a lot of alternatives with all my tree and shrub cuttings along a hedge and a wall but they seem to prefer the box.
    Have checked your link… knew that October might be a good time but had not thought about April.
    Thanks
    Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog