Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog houses

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog houses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi all

My question is I have two hedgehog houses both of which were used over the winter since March I have put food out which of a being eaten each night have they finished using the houses or not as I would like to take the bedding out of the houses to put fresh bedding in as one of the houses can be used for hoglets

Is it safe to do this now before mating season starts

Many thanks

Chezzy

Nic

Hi Chezzy

It’s generally considered to be a good time to clean out hog houses at the moment. More information: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cleaning-out-boxes/

You really need to check, first, whether there are any hogs in residence. If you don’t have cameras, (and even if you do, it’s worth a double check – hogs are very clever at timing their activities in the time gaps between clips or images) try putting a twig, or rolled up bit of paper in the doorway to see whether it’s moved. Some hogs seem to keep using the boxes when we hope they wouldn’t be! But if there is a hog in there, you shouldn’t disturb it.

You do really need to clean out the boxes with boiling water (rather than just change bedding) because there are often parasite eggs left in the gaps between joints in the wood, etc.

I would just put a small amount of bedding in, to give them the idea, and leave a supply nearby. Many hogs like to do their own interior decorations.

Hopefully some hogs will move back in again soon.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Thanks Nic -I check cautiously over the weekend

So..”my” hog has not moved out , or if did i didnt know for sure, so have left box alone..( i thought had moved out, but prehsps was a late sleeper??!)
    He/ she defo in residence now though..
    What to do..i say leave well alone..he/she is takingbin fresh bedding i am leaving near by..

Simon.

Opps sorry hijack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog