Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog in feeding station in middle of day

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog in feeding station in middle of day

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi

Just gone to clean out feeding station to find a hedgehog in there.
    At first I thought it was asleep but when I closed the lid and watched from a distance, it uncurled, turned round, curled up again then uncurled & had a drink and has gone exploring the garden.

I’m a bit concerned about it being out in the day but doesn’t seem hurt or ill so not sure if i should’ve put it in a box & called someone. What should I do if I see it again?

Thanks!

I suggest you put it into a high sided box and get it looked at by a carer. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. It won’t cause any harm to the hog

It could be a new mum with hoglets in the nest! They will come out at weird times of day to drink/eat when they can get a break from the ankle-biters. Unfortunately a lot of new mums do get “rescued” for being out in the day and that of course abandons the hoglets 🙁

There’s no sure fire way to tell but if it’s behaving normally and moving with purpose then it suggests a new mum. Ill hogs during the day tend to be staggering or sunbathing and not behaving normally at all. There are no guarantees though because hedgehogs are very adept at looking ok when they definitely aren’t!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog