Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog in garden last night, Letchworth. Lots of ticks!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog in garden last night, Letchworth. Lots of ticks!

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by stef.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi, very happy to say that I caught a hog on camera last night (sent to hedgehogstreet), after a few nights of trying out my new toy in different locations around the garden. Prior to that, I had only caught sightings of very busy field/wood mice and a neighbour’s cat. We had regular sightings of a hedgehog when we moved in, just under two years ago, but to my heartbreak and horror it was run over one night, just outside of our house. Luckily we had another, much more shy hog take up residency over this winter. It seemed to nest for the mostpart in a box we provided, but sadly it became damp in the latest rains/storms. I was worried that the hog might not return, but glad to see one caught on camera last night and a fresh poop in the part of the lawn that’s allowed to grow wild. The hedgehog has lots of ticks. Not sure if I should try and intervene to remove them, or whether it’s a pointless and unnecessarily invasive exercise? Any advice please? I also contacted the local council, MP and highways agency about trying to get better protection on our road for hedgehogs… But they’ve been useless sadly. I copied in Herts Wildlife Trust into the emails, and of course they were very supportive, but seemingly powerless to help. Many thanks for reading my first entry!

It’s normal for hogs to carry some ticks, however masses may mean that it’s got something else going on, so it may be an idea to chat to your nearest carer.

The best thing that everyone can do for hogs is to provide a highway between gardens so the hogs don’t have to go onto the roads

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog