Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog in my garage – advice please

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog in my garage – advice please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi All

Yesterday morning we found a hedgehog in my garage curled up fast asleep. Whilst I am delighted that we have a new resident I’m in need of some advice.

I did cover him back up and I put out some water and cat food out for him. When I returned at dusk the food was gone and so had the hedgehog. I wasn’t sure if it was else where in the garage or had gone out. This morning he’s back asleep in his spot.

I know I shouldn’t really feed him in the garage, but I wanted to make sure that he had access to food. The gap under my garage door is around 8 – 9 cm high. Our garage door came off it’s runner late November and didn’t shut properly for a week or so, and I am worried that he came in then (bit late for them to be out though) and is now coming out of late hibernation or in hibernation due to lack of food as he can’t get out of our garage.

So my questions are:

1. Would he be able to squeeze under the 8cm gap to get out of my garage?
    2. Once I know he can get out should I feed him outside of the garage (I have a front garden so it’s not directly near a road)?
    3. Can we still go in and out of the garage when we need too. It’s a fairly quiet garage and I am happy to share with him, and leave him undisturbed in his cosy nest. We don’t keep our car in there and we have been going in and out frequently but hadn’t spotted him before (husband was having a tidy up when we found him). If we know he can get out will he just naturally move on if he doesn’t like the disturbance?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

What a lovely story.
    I don’t know the size of your hog, but yes it almost certainly will be able to squeeze under the door.
    It is also very likely to be female by the way and it’s found itself a nice quiet safe place to sleep and possibly have babies
    Continue to feed inside as you have been doing it will be fine
    Yes you can still use your garage as long as you don’t keep going up to it and disturbing it. They are used to living around noise so don’t worry. If it moves on then that’s it’s choice but it sounds like it’s happy staying put

Thanks for the advice Stef.
    I will leave him/her be, and keep putting the food in the garage.

I will let you know if it continues to go. I will think of a way to check or can get in and out. Maybe when it isn’t raining I will put a little layer of sand outside the garage to see if there are any little footprints left behind.

I also have a hedgehog that’s now in my garage in Liverpool which is attached to the house. I put food and water out each night .He has come under the door from front garden and is free to come and go as he pleases . I have now put a hedgehog house in the garage , which is being used ,with extra hay if he wants in the corner. I have 5 hedgehog houses and 2 feeding stations in the back garden, but have now also put 2 under the wall behind bushes in the front garden and bowls of water ,for the ones taking a walk along the pavement if they need bed . Im also excited to see in the back garden little hog poos along with big ones …. I’ve got hoglets .!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog