Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Insomnia

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog Insomnia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Has anyone had one in most nights this winter, We have had one coming in all winter even on Christmas night, looks healthy, reasonable size, it has just not had big sleeps, is this normal or have we got a hedgehog with insomnia!

Yeah, I’ve got at least one doing the same thing. Seems happy and healthy enough but has been active throughout. I am on South Coast though so it’s probably slightly warmer than rest of UK. I think there’s several visiting though, judging by the way the food disappears some nights. I think at least a couple are nesting in the hog houses, so they wouldn’t have to go far or be out long if they want some food.

Nic

Hi Helen

Don’t worry. Some hogs decide not to hibernate. Often they are i.e. last year’s hoglets, although some of the early hoglets may look like adults – there seem more mentions on ‘the Street’ of larger hogs as well. Some may be adults including possibly ones which have emerged from hibernatiion, and may go back into hibernation. (Hogs are known to sometimes emerge during hibernation and even change nests).

It is not essential for hogs to hibernate if they can access sufficient food. Putting it simply, hibernation is really a slowing down of their metabolism so that they can cope without food when there is not much around. Some hogs will hibernate even if there is food available, but others choose not to.

If there are hogs out and about the best thing to do is keep offering food (cat/dog food or cat/kitten dry food) and water – there isn’t so much wild food around at this time of year. Dry food can be useful during the winter – it doesn’t go off so quickly if it isn’t all eaten (or freeze) – but it’s vital to make sure that water is available if offering dry food. Water is best left available all day every day, including during the winter whatever food is offered.

Good luck. Hope the hog continues to do well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog