Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog marks

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog marks

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I wonder if any one could give some advice, we have 5 hedgehogs visit us each night, one of the hedgehogs is a good size and was around last year, last year and this I have noticed a white mark on its back end, the mark is horseshoe in shape and size, the trail cam which is set up makes it very noticeable, looked close at the video and their seems to be no spines missing or damaged, not sure if the trail cam is making it stand out more than usual, very doubtful if it has been deliberately marked, the patch is more noticeable than last year but not significantly worse., all the other hedgehogs are fine in appearance. Any advice would be appreciated if you have come across this before, Thanks Gary

Camera’s always make natural markings appear brighter. It’s possible that it was injured there at some point and the healed tissue is lighter. Alternatively it could just be a difference in prickly colour. We think they are all the same colour but they really aren’t. Those variations can be very obvious on a camera.
    If it was there last year too I really wouldn’t worry about it. It’s a useful tool for you to be able to monitor it with

One of ‘my’ hedgehogs also has what look like fluorescent marks on its bum ๐Ÿ™‚ and another group I’m in suggested this may mean it has been rescued and released at some point, and marked with fluorescent pen/water for stats/tracking. Very useful for me as well, as it confirms I get 2 hogs in my garden and I’ve christened them Sonic (predictable, I know) and – wait for it – Mark ๐Ÿ˜€

Nic

Just in case anyone thinks it’s a good idea to mark hedgehogs artificially to make it easier to identify them, it isn’t.

Please see:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/marking-hedgehogs/

As mentioned in that post, it is possible to identify hedgehogs by their own natural markings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog