Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Nap

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehog Nap

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Has any body else noticed that they’re piggies have been taking 40 winks
    during the night. We have noticed that ours, after a big dinner and drink
    will put themselves to bed for a bit, very much like my husband after his Sunday dinner! It does not seem to matter what age they are or sex.

Hi Helen, Yes I think this is the case with 2 hogs visiting my garden. They seemed to be around early evening, eating and drinking and then one was going into the house around 11pm and the other seems to wander off. The trail camera has then spotted them up and about around 3am – 5am. I know one is a male and not sure about the other but I guess like humans they probably have meals and naps then a long period of rest/sleep during our daytime. Since the clocks changed they are getting later with arrival and leaving time. Have 1 house and am building another soon. Not sure if they are staying in the house in the daytime but it is definitely being used in the night and hope another house may encourage more to stay over too.

Thanks for that info, our house is a turned on it’s side clay chimnea which we fill with hay and shredded paper, they don’t hibernate in it but last year two would go in for a nap at the same time!

Nic

Hi Helen

I have found that it’s something some hogs seem to do, but not all. i.e. I used to have one female visitor who always settled down for a nap between snacks – always in the same place, as well – not in a box. Another notable one was one who didn’t hibernate and would always pop into the box for naps between snacks. He sometimes spent the day in the same box, but not always, so obviously had a nest elsewhere as well.

Thanks for that Nick, it’s nice to hear of other hedgehog stories.

Hi,
    I’m very excited because i have a new hogcam set up in my garden & over the last 2weeks there has been a male persisting a female most nights & last night for the first time i have seen her being rather frantic & collecting nesting materials.

Normally a hog would spend it’s time browsing for food, rarely getting more than a couple of mouthfuls before searching again. When we feed them we are giving them a lot of food in one go – somewhat like a big Christmas dinner that then needs a nap before exercise resumes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog