Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog night rituals

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog night rituals

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have a new tenant in one of my hog uses. It’s been there for about 3 weeks now. The other night I decided to check it was still alive and found it had had gone out around 9pm. At 1130pm I decided I would half change it’s bedding whilst it was out, but I found it had come back. Is this normal? I thought hedgehogs stayed up for hours. I’m not sure of the sex but it’s definitely the same hedgehog as I’ve watched it the last few evenings. All it seems to do is come to one of the feeding stations, wanders around for a couple of hours before going back to the hog house.

Nic

Hi Sylvie

It’s lovely to hear you have a tenant in one of your hog houses. It is, though, not a good idea to disturb or change/add bedding to a nest which is currently in use, even if the hog is out. We may have provided the box, but it’s their home whilst they are using it. Even checking a box can cause problems, particularly if the occupant might be a female with young. They are very sensitive and can abandon or kill their babies when they are very young, if disturbed. If you want to provide extra bedding you could leave some outside so that they have the choice to use it or not.

It is quite normal for hedgehogs to return to their current nest during the night. They often make several trips out for food and nap in between. Hopefully the hog there is foraging during it’s wanderings as well as eating what you provide!

Good luck. Hope you get tenant/s in your other box/es as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog