Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog nighttime napping

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog nighttime napping

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi I currently have a hedgehog that taktakes a nightly nap in one of my Hedgehog houses. Is this normal? I’m not sure how long it takes it’s nap for, but it disappears come daylight. When I have checked on it, it appears to be a good size. However, I was concerned that since it is taking a nap at night, it might be unwell. Does anyone have any words of advice? TIA

Nic

Hi vanpoogly

I Have had hogs here who have done similar – i.e. taken naps between snacks. It may be more likely at this time of year in the run up to hibernation, also when it’s colder and the nights are longer. It should be o.k. if the hog is behaving, otherwise, normally. Just keep an eye on it, in case.

I have also seen them falling asleep and almost doing so after a heavy meal. Have seen a hog sinking together and eyes slowly dropping. In sweden where i live they are active even when there is light and are much easier to film.

Nic

Hi Jens

A bit off topic but I thought you might be interested in this, if you haven’t already heard about it.
    https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/new-bhps-funded-study/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog