Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog not hibernating

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog not hibernating

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My resident garden hedgehog is happily ensconced in his cosy, insulated house but is still coming out every night to eat and drink. He has not hibernated at all. I had to clear a special path for him last night in the snow! Is the availability of food discouraging him from hibernating? I read so many different views on whether food should be left out in the winter. Am I doing the right thing by keeping food available?

It’s absolutely fine. Hogs don’t need to hibernate and it is his/her choice not to. Some hogs hibernate even when there is food around.
    Don’t stop feeding now in the hope he’ll hibernate. They have to go through a detox process prior to hibernation and he’s not done that obviously.

Some people are saying that by feeding them we are changing their natural behaviour, and to an extent we are, however as they are under such threat then as it doesn’t harm them I don’t see an issue. As I said earlier the hog will make it’s own mind up as to whether it comes for the food or hibernates.

I feed all winter but only 1 of mine has elected to remain active, and then only part of the time
    I also have lots of what were autumn juveniles being overwintered and a number of them are quite determined to hibernate, while others don’t.

So effectively what I’m saying is that your hog will decide if it want’s to hibernate regardless of you putting food down.
    It sounds like you’re doing well for him, well done

Thanks Stef. That’s reassuring. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog