Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog out during the day

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog out during the day

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I know it’s unusual for hogs to be out during the day, I had one about March time at 2pm. I duly took it to the Wildlife hospital, but it didn’t make it. Now I’ve seen another at 6pm and the following night 8pm and as you know it’s still light. I did ring a rescue centre and they said monitor. Thing is these are wild animals and it must stressful handling them and in a car etc. I’ve been feeding hogs for 2 years and all through the winter because they were October juveniles. I have one in my garage, Another hedgehog rescue told me they’d had 102 calls this year so far!

I’m getting a lot of calls at the moment for Warwickshire Hedgehog Rescue about hogs out in daylight. At this time of year, with longer days and female hogs nesting and with hoglets you should be very careful before picking hedgehogs up. Our advice currently is that if the hog is moving purposefully and there are no obvious signs of illness or injury leave them be and monitor the situation. The general guidance that a hog out in daylight is likely to be in need of help should be treated with caution during the mating season.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog