Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog out in the day

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog out in the day

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello I’m new here
    Yesterday and today around 3ish there has been a small hedgehog in my garden I know they are not supposed to be out but he or she was eating and was walking around in my wild bits I have in the garden. I have been putting out hedgehog food and water since January. A person on Facebook said I should catch it and take to a rescue centre but I read somewhere it might be out because it’s pregnant or taking food back to young plus it has ticks but I could only see 4.
    I stayed out the whole time watching it eat then it made its way back through the leaves to the gap in the back fence. Any advice would be great I know sometimes you should leave nature alone and like I said the hedgehog was eating loads.
    Thank you ❤️🦔

As you say it could be pregnant or have hoglets somewhere it is gathering food for. It’s quite late in the breeding season but have you seen any signs of it ripping up grass or gathering nesting materials? If it is not behaving strangely and does not obviously look ill I would just leave it but keep an eye on it

Nic

Hi Karenlouise40

It isn’t normal for a hog to be out during the day. If it is small it could be a hoglet. The best thing to do is contact your local hedgehog carer and explain the situation to them and take their advice. They will know what precautions need to be taken in case it’s a nursing mother.

You can get contact details of your nearest carer by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801 Hedgehogs, being wild animals, will not let on that they are unwell if they can help it, so that a hog that is ill can look o.k. until it is very unwell. So make those phone calls preferably sooner rather than later, so that you can be ready, in case the hedgehog makes an appearance in the day again.

Just one other thing. It’s a good idea to leave water available for the hogs all day every day, in case a really thirsty hog might be desperate for a drink any time.

Good luck.

Hi ,
    Found a young hog in our garden last week during the day, knew that was not good. Since then I have been putting out cat food and water for the hog, have not seen it since during the day but know it’s getting the food at night,(did check a couple of times with a torch). What else can I do? I provide water and our garden is friendly, easy to access and exit plus areas that are a bit scruffy! Any ideas will be welcomed.

Nic

Hi BaileyG

It’s possible, of course, that there may be more than one hedgehog around and eating the food! Sounds as if you are doing the right things providing food, water and access. Otherwise you can try to make your garden more hedgehog friendly. There are some ideas here:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

Lots more ideas and information about hedgehogs on Hedgehog Street in the lists on the left and top of the page – well worth checking through some of them.

But if you see a hog out during the day again, it’s a good idea to get the hog checked out, or at least chat to a hedgehog carer/rehabilitator about it – you can give them more information than is possible on the forum. You can find contact details of your nearest ones by ringing the BHPS on 01584 890801

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog