Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Regurgitating Food and Eating It

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehog Regurgitating Food and Eating It

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

P

Hi

Last night I caught on camera an adult female European Hedgehog regurgitating / vomiting up some food and immediately eating it. She then goes back to eating in the feeder and showed no other signs of distress or illness. As I have not seen this before and could not find much reference to hedgehogs doing this, although gross, I thought I’d upload the video just in case it is of interest.

https://youtu.be/UFrQI-a7VRg

Some further info. I have been regulalry feeding one juvenile and three adults for the past 3 or 4 months. I feed them Riverside Woodcraft Premium Complete Hedgehog Food mixed with same calci worms, and put out bowls of water. Last night, this particular hedgehog visited a couple hours earlier for about 20 minutes with no signs of illness, and had also been eating in the feeder for about 15 minute prior to this video. She continued to eat for about another 5 minutes before wondering off.

Nic

Hi P

I hope the hog there is now ok. If you are still worried about it, you might want to ask the question on the carers/rescuing a hog section, where hog carers/rehabilitators might be more likely to see it more quickly.

If you are ever worried about a hog you can get the number of your nearest hog carers by ringing:
    For advice about hedgehog welfare, injuries and illness call 01584 890801
    (copied from below).

P

Thanks Nic. 🙂 She is doing good and is still visiting nightly. I haven’t seen her do it again since, so I think it was a one off.

Nic

Hi P

You’re welcome. Glad to hear the hog is ok now. Hopefully it stays that way!

It won’t be long until hibernation now, so hope that goes well for the hog, too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog