Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog sighting 03.09.19

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog sighting 03.09.19

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have 2 feeding stations set up. One for wet and one for dry. There is more than one visit happening. First one as soon as it goes dark. Tonight @ 21.30pm I Listened and watched a hedgehog eating the dry food. S/he is quite small. Last night when out for a walk 20:00 I saw one large one who had died probably hit by a car but was on the grass verge and already with maggots. Also saw a live, small one.

Nic

Hi Skippersmum

It’s good to hear you have hogs there, but so sorry to hear you saw one that had died. But lovely that you’ve seen a small one too. It’s possible that was a this year’s hoglet and where there’s one hoglet, there are often more of them around.

Really good that you are leaving food out for the hogs. Make sure you leave some water out – all day every day, is best. Shallow but wide plant saucers are ideal for this. The wider the better because hogs are very good at tipping them over! The ones I have are mostly about 12 inches or 30cm. across but make sure they aren’t so deep that a hoglet could get stuck in them.

Also it’s a really good idea to make sure all your neighbours link their gardens by making hog holes in fences/walls. If the hogs can access more habitat that way, they have less need to cross roads, with all the hazards that presents.

Good luck with the hogs and happy hog watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog