Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog sighting after sunrise – is there anything to be concerned about?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog sighting after sunrise – is there anything to be concerned about?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gjw

This morning, at 4:48am (just about sunrise) my trail cam captured footage of a hedgehog. It continued to capture footage until the last sighting at about 9:48am. The hedgehog was bustling about looking (to me) perfectly healthy and happy, scrabbling about in the plant debris and garden mulch and from time to time pulling up bits of plant stem and leaves and dragging them away – I couldn’t see how far it went but it kept coming back and going to and fro for all of this time. When I went to retrieve the SD card from the camera there was absolutely no sign that anything had been there so I was amazed to find so many clips when I came to review the footage. I had a good look around the garden area and could see no sign of a nest or of a hedgehog. I am a bit concerned (a) because it was out in the daylight and (b) because it is our front garden next to the road (although we are in a very quiet cul de sac at the end of a cul de sac). I have quite frequently seen a hedgehog in the back garden after dark but I do not put out food. Some of my neighbours have also reported seeing hedgehogs. if anybody has any comments on this I would be very grateful

From your description of the activity this is almost certainly a female building a nest. They frequently build nests late into pregnancy and so are often seen during daylight hours.
    Also with nights being shorter hogs are often still active in the early mornings.
    As long as the hogs behaviour is purposeful I wouldn’t worry. Start putting out food and always have water and hopefully in a few weeks time you’ll see some babies
    If you see the hog acting lethargically then it will need help
    Mothers are also often up during daytime hours coming to feed while the babies are sleeping. Again if it’s being purposeful in it’s actions no need to worry

gjw

Thank you – that is reassuring!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog