Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog sounds

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog sounds

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello ! I have a hedgehog in my garden who has become very well aquainted with us in the family. We fed her last year and this year she has come back.
    This week some small hoglets appeared and it became evident that they are her babies. There are three of them…..and they are so CUTE !
    This morning mom started to drag grass and other plant material into the hedgehog house I have built for them. It’s really hot here ( 27-32 C ) so I don’t know why she would need so much insulation, but maybe the hoglets need to be kept extra warm.
    I have some videos of the hedgehog when dragging material into the house but I am not allowed to show them here as this is solely for British hedgehogs and I am living in Sweden. But you can see them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqlteHeMqMA&list=PL1FV1UspyVNk98jxd15DZH2B7NRMIVprl

Now to my question. Yesterday and also today after our hedgehog made a coughing/vomiting sound while her hole body was convulsing. I have recorded a video of it and also a sound file. I heard another hedgehog earlier this summer make the same sound and it looks like they are trying to throw up. Is this something common among hedgehogs and have other people observed this behaviour ?

I haven’t heard of a hedgehog making those kinds of sounds before, so no idea if it is OK or not. Are there any hedgehog or more general wildlife rescues you can contact in Sweden and show the clip to them?

I have heard of hedgehogs sounding raspy or like they have a chesty cough and those are potentially serious issues that need treatment.

I contacted a wildlife rescue center in Sweden and they were sure it is lung worm. I’ve been to the pharmacy today and bought medicine so she has received her first dosage. It was a quick remedy continued once a day over three days.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog