Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Spines in Feeding Station?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog Spines in Feeding Station?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I am just wondering if anyone can offer advice, I have been feeding hedgehogs in our local area for around a year now without any issues. However, on the last two nights there have been spines on the floor of the feeding station and some on the path. I know we have more than one hedgehog visiting the garden, and one resident in the garden, so I can only assume it is hedgehogs fighting over food? Only hedgehogs can get in the feeding station and so I don’t think it would be any other animal causing this. The spines look like they have been ‘pulled off’ or ‘dropped off’ as opposed to ‘chewed off’. The feeding station has only one entrance / exit, and so I was already in the process of making a new one with two entrances / exits as our resident hedgehog is a fairly small hog (a hoglet from late last year). I should finish the new feeding station by the weekend, and after that I guess it would be good to have two separate ones.

I think it has come on two quick to be any sort of medical condition which causes hedgehogs to lose their spines (if there is such conditions – mange?) but any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob

Nic

Hi Rob

It really depends how many spines you are talking about, whether it’s a problem or not. Hogs do moult, but in a similar way to humans, i.e. spines may drop out now and then when a new one grows, rather than a complete moult more or less all at once, as some animals do.

From what you are saying, I am imagining it is more than just that, so if you are concerned the best thing to do is contact your local hog carer. It could possibly be some kind of skin condition, which might need treatment. You can explain the situation more fully to them and take their advice. You can get contact details of your nearest hog carers from BHPS on 01584 890801.

Good luck. Hope all goes well with the hogs.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the advice. I would say it was around 50 – 100 spines so definitely more than just an one or two. I did actually call a local rescue during lunch today and they advised I try and take a look / get a photo of the hog when it is in the feeding station. They seemed to think it is more likely to be a skin condition than them being pulled out through fighting, but I will see what happens tonight. If it is a skin condition, it has certainly come on very quick as never seen any dropped spines before a couple of days ago.

Thanks

Rob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog