Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog survey in local area

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog survey in local area

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Has any of you been doing a survey in your local area, I would like to know how your hogs are doing. I’ve been doing a survey in my village for the last 3 years and unfortunately our hoggies are declining. So I’m wondering if any of you are doing the same sort of thing and what results you are finding.

Nic

Hi Brian

I studied the hogs visiting my garden for several years a few years back. I watched them in real time (didn’t have cameras then). I was able to recognise them by their natural markings, so was able to see how many were visiting, how often they visited, including how many times each night, etc. Also their interactions with each other. There was a good sized population.

The numbers have definitely substantially reduced. The decline in numbers started when someone began to excessively mark the hogs. That may have had in impact, but it may also be that other people had begun to feed them so that they didn’t necessarily visit my garden any more. But I did also hear about someone feeding mealworms, which may also have had a detrimental impact on population size whilst at the same time encouraging the hogs there rather than here.

But sadly it seems hogs are declining in general. You mention a village – not sure whether that’s a country village, but if country, apparently they are doing less well in the country than they are in urban/suburban areas.

I think quite a few people have kept notes about hog visits at various times.

Hi Brian,
    I have not done an official survey. I have been watching the hogs on camera for about 2 years now.
    We had about 5 or 6 different hogs visiting regularly including 1 female.
    I believe the female had hoglets but I think only possibly 1 survived (it was found wandering and it went to vet) another was found a couple of days later and had to be put to sleep and another was found dead in neighbours garden. as I fear mum is no longer with us.
    Since then only 2 visitors.
    It seemed to coincide with a house nearby doing major changes in their garden, lots of machinery being used.
    So certainly here there has been a decline in the 2 years I have been watching and I don’t believe there is a female around either.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog