Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog visits decreasing

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog visits decreasing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Having fed our hedgehogs nightly since early spring, feeding visits are slowing down. Tuesday to Thursday no visits at all but all the food disappeared last night. Considering i don’t live in ideal hibernation habitat i.e. not much in the way of broadleaf woodland or thick scrub, i suspect the hedgehogs that hang around here to breed and feed in the summer are wondering off prospecting for suitable dry places for winter. Last year we had hedgehogs feeding well in to November so i will keep feeding and see what happens, but activity is definitely slowing down.

Nic

Hi Baldwin hedgehog

Things have been slowing down here too. Good idea to keep putting food out, though, apart from anything else, in case any late hoglets (and possibly their Mums) turn up.

Hi Nic,
    I will probably provide food into December and monitor what happens. i believe hedgehogs are known to stir from hibernation sometimes so it will be interesting to see if any food disappears over winter.
    i believe we only have one active hog here now the others have dispersed.
    I will miss our nightly visits.
    I believe i’m going to be helping out with rehab and hibernating soon so that will be interesting and rewarding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog