Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog with hoglets

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog with hoglets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We spotted a hedgehog in our garden for the first time last month and since then she’s been a regular visitor. A couple of days ago, two new mini visitors appeared which I’m guessing are her hoglets?
    Tonight I’ve caught them on video with the hedgehog and hoglet circling each other with lots of snuffling. The small hedgehogs are (I think) a few weeks old and look like proper mini hedgehogs. Can anyone tell me if that’s what it was? Thanks!

Nic

Hi ClaireW17

That’s lovely that you have hoglets there. If there is a hog circling another it sounds as if the adult may be a male. The young ones may already be going it alone. It’s hard to say from a short description on the Forum – likewise impossible to say re. the behaviour, with so little information and not being able to see exactly what was happening.

Normally the male hogs don’t take much notice of the youngsters, but I had an adult male here once who made advances to a really very young hoglet – and that was on several different occasions on different nights. The male in question was one of the less dominant of the males who visited and maybe he never got a chance to make advances to any of the adult females. The hoglet was very precocious and didn’t seem to mind at all, although his advances were never going to lead anywhere. So maybe something similar was happening there.

There is a lot of supposition this suggestion, but it’s possible.

It’s lovely to have hoglets around – they can be very entertaining! Happy hog watching!

Ah interesting! Thanks for the response. The little one seemed to be joining in the circling too. I’ll try and figure out how to upload a video of it although they were just outside of the feeding box / only just within camera range. It’s lovely to watch them 😊 – this is the first year we’ve seen them and left food out so feeling especially lucky to get to see the mini ones coming every night!

Nic

Hi Claire

You should find in here https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/photographing-hedgehogs/ how to put video on the Hedgehog Street YouTube. Once it’s on there, you should be able to add the link to the Forum.

Yes, you are lucky to have young ones around the first year you’ve seen them. Glad to hear you’re enjoying watching them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog