Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

‘Hedgehog World’

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings ‘Hedgehog World’

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

There is a field to at the end of my road; been on the market several times – big builders trying to buy but can’t get planning permission. Just come on the market again. A friend suggested I buy it (with what? Monopoly money?) and open ‘Hedgehog World’ I have in my mind a lovely vista of wild flower meadow with log piles and water holes. ๐Ÿ™‚
    But to my horror discovered there is Hedgehog World website https://www.hedgehogworld.com/
    All here trying to support out native population; how cruel to make pets of a wild creature?

Nic

Hi Celeste

Yes it’s very sad. The hedgehogs kept as pets are African Pygmy Hedgehogs, but like other hedgehogs they are nocturnal, so completely unsuitable as pets – and why would anyone want a pet which should be left alone all day to sleep. Also, like other hedgehogs they roam over large distances in their natural habitat so keeping them caged is cruel. I can only imagine the frustration of the poor things.

This is what the RSPCA say about it: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/other/africanpygmyhedgehogs

So much better to watch our beloved European Hedgehogs in the wild, so that they can continue to live wild and free as they should do.

On a lighter note, I love the idea of a whole field given up to wild hedgehog habitat! If only a rich donor would come along and change your monopoly money into real money!

Thanks Nic. Elton, Paul, Bill (of that Windows thingy) please send private message/dosh soonest; I would thank you gifting us for this beautiful wildlife haven ๐Ÿ™‚
    Dream on! But in the meantime, the ‘live wild and free hedgehogs’ visiting my garden are noisily crashing about, pooing everywhere. Bless ’em!
    As you say why would anyone want to keep a ‘pet’ hedgehog? SO cruel. I just couldn’t believe what I was reading on that website.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog