Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs are definitely back

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs are definitely back

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My trail camera started picking up hedgehog activity at the feeder at the end of March, and they were eating a few of the kitten biscuits. In the last two weeks there have been many videos each night, (only one hog at a time) and they’ve been polishing off every biscuit I put out. The hedgehog house has not been used much in the two or three years it has been in the garden, so after its annual clean I placed it in a new position, under some shrubs, where it is more sheltered from the elements and with just enough distance between the entrance and a boundary wall. I also placed barley straw nearby, in a bucket that is lying on its side. Bingo – three mornings ago, just before dawn, I got lots of videos of a hedgehog gathering the nesting material and moving in. Yesterday morning, again around dawn, there was a property dispute between two hogs, which went on for about an hour. Last nights videos showed that after all the arguing they had shared the box (one emerged at 8:22pm and the other at 8:31pm. Neither went back in this morning. Maybe both wanted a more relaxing sleep elsewhere. I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Three hogs near the feeding station last night. I poked my head out of the window just in time to see a hog run across the lawn and disturb a courting couple. When everything had calmed down the courtship continued.

Great that you have Hedgehogs visiting JAHW. They are very entertaining to watch.

Willpar.

Three hogs near the feeder seems to be the rule now,with two males chasing after one female. The hog that moved into the house and was then forced to share loses out in the battles for the chance to court the female (I can recognise him from his size and a lighter patch on his snout).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog