Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs decorating their sleeping quarters.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs decorating their sleeping quarters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anyone else come across this? My resident ‘hog regularly rearranges the leaves and rabbit hay that I put in front of her ‘bedroom’, a large upturned plastic flower tub with a hole in one side. I’d expect that to happen as she comes and goes, and needs to freshen up what’s inside the pot, but not so long ago there was a large lump of moss outside the entrance that had been pulled off a piece of stone a couple of feet away, and, more recently, my girlfriend noticed a piece of fern leaf had been neatly bitten off a fern nearby and carefully placed right by the entrance to her sleeping quarters.
    This can’t be accidental, the leaf is new, and can’t have just snapped off, and it’s been neatly placed as well.
    Is this sort of decoration known ‘hog behaviour?
    Personally I think it’s rather sweet!

Nic

Hedgehogs will take fresh green vegetation into their nests as well as dried leaves, grasses, etc. I was lucky enough to capture some video of a hog building a nest and saw him actually picking some fresh greenery. If a hog is still using the nest and regularly going in and out, I would expect it to replenish the ‘furnishings’ from time to time. I have also heard of hogs taking small amounts of herbs into their nest.

I was also able to see the nest once it was vacated and it was an incredibly intricate structure made of mostly dried (long) grasses woven together with dried leaves. This was a that year’s hoglet – amazing how they just know, how to do that so well.

My hog house is filled to the brim with neatly woven grasses! (and yet my OH cant make a decent plait!!)

Hog 1, Husband Nil.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog