Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs gone

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehogs gone

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi I’m probably being silly here but I’m really missing the hogs that come into my garden! I went on holiday for one week, left four different bowls of food and water out when I left! I’ve not seen any hogs since I returned over a week ago and was just wondering if because I wasn’t there to give them food they have gone elsewhere? I’m feeling really bad for going away now lol

Good afternoon Edie,
    Same happened here, loads of hogs, night after night, then nothing?
    It didn’t seem to be a gradual ‘tailing off’ either.
    I’ve either ‘huffed them’ by stopping putting out mealworms or they have all gone into hibernation.
    I thought I might have a badger or fox problem but the cameras aren’t showing anything though I did get a few glimpses of hogs ‘passing through’

Nic

Hi Granny Edie

You aren’t being silly at all! I think most of us miss the hogs when they go to hibernate. And it’s that time of year when they all disappear, so it’s most likely that’s what has happened. So no need to feel guilty, they may have chosen that time to hibernate whether you were there or not.

I would keep leaving a bit of food out for a while, just in case any of them change their minds, or if any hoglets make their way to your garden. Ideally it’s best to leave water out all day every day, including in the Winter.

Fingers crossed for a successful hibernation, and that your old friends return safe and well in the Spring.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog