Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs gone missing

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs gone missing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Is it too soon for hedgehogs to hibernate? We have had around six coming into our garden for the last few months, of which one was a juvenile which we took to the rescue centre, another was a baby which we think someone else sent to the rescue centre. We have only seen one the last few nights and I am wondering what’s happened to the rest of them. We put out hedgehog food and water every night. Sounds crazy but I am really missing them ☹️

Nic

Hi Granny Edie

Unfortunately, we’ve come to the time of year when the hogs start disappearing. I think we all miss them when they’re away, but look forward to hopefully seeing them again in the Spring.

I would keep putting the food out for a while yet, just in case. Sometimes hoglets appear quite late in the year, when all the other hogs have disappeared. Possibly from somewhere where they’ve stopped feeding already.

I would continue to leave water out during the whole winter – during the day as well.

Thanks so much for the advice you have given me! I will keep putting food out for now and will put water out as you suggested all winter.

Just noticed I must have clicked on report! This was my mistake sorry

Nic

Hi Granny Edie

Thanks. I’m always happy to help the hogs if I can. Don’t worry about pressing ‘report’ by mistake – easily done.

I have been feeding adult hogs for a few years now , but for a couple of nights have not seen an adult hog, but last night for the first time this year a hoglet appeared but no adult with it . It ate the food I leave out and visited the 2 hog houses I have but is not there this morning. He does look small but is a baby . Should I just monitor baby or intervene, am worried about weighing it as don’t want to scare him.

Hi-
    I am not an expert but from what I have read I believe a baby has to be at least 450 grams to survive hibernation, slightly dependant on where you live. I think the advice is to see what the recommended weight is in your area by ringing the BHPS. Also ask BHPS who your local carer is to see if they have room if the little one needs help.
    If you see the baby again it will probably need to be weighed. Have everything ready. Gloves for handling, a container he can’t get out of for weighing, scales and a high sided box to keep him in (if he is too small) to get him to the carer.
    Line the box with shredded newspaper and have a small towel fleece for him to bury under. Provide some water and food. Keep in a quiet place if you can
    Good luck and please let us know how you get on

Hi scoobysue
    I know from recent experience of weighing a hog for the first time, it can be a pretty daunting thought.
    I struggled to get my head around scooping up a wild animal, but when the hoglets are really small under 450grams, weighing them and taking appropriate action can make such a difference to the little ones survival . Cutie was the first baby I had weighed and like you I was worried that the stress of weighing would have a detrimental impact. But after weighing I released Cutie who was no bigger than an orange and the weighing clearly has had no impact at all! Cutie has now more than doubled in size and has taken up residence under our big shed! A great little character!😂🤗
    My advice is just bite the bullet and do it ! It could mean all the difference to the little hogs survival!
    Good luck and best wishes x

Nic

I feel I should make a correction. You probably won’t be able to find out what the recommended weight is in your area by ringing the BHPS. But they will be able to let you know contact details of your nearest carer. The minimum weight to survive hibernation is 450g. But the hogs will need to be that weight earlier in the year in colder parts of the country than in in warmer ones, which is where your local carer may be able to help with some guidance about the appropriate timing.

But if there is a small hog around, I would contact your local carer, as suggested to take their advice and check that they have room to take another little one if necessary. Then weigh the little hog. If it is heavy enough it can be immediately released and carry on where it left off, but if it’s very tiny, may not survive without help.

Good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog