Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs have disappeared

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehogs have disappeared

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I live in Cheshire and have a very upsetting problem. I have been feeding my hedgehogs for a year now, During this spring I’m sure I had 4 to 5 of them visiting. I have a trail cam set up and saw them courting and fighting. However, over the last week or two I’ve had fewer visits and for the last 3 nights none at all. About a month ago I saw one youngster but that has also disappeared – I’m sure she and her mum were living in my garden. I am really concerned that someone has put some sort of poison down. I am really upset about this. All I can do is keep putting food out and keep my fingers crossed.

Nic

Hi IanL

I know it can be very worrying when our hog visitors disappear, but it’s something that happens every year. If you scan through the topics, you will find there are loads of people worrying about the same thing.

We can’t always know why, but there are times when the hogs seem to disappear and it seems to happen to most people at some time or another. There are all sorts of potential reasons. Females could be off somewhere rearing young, the males could be visiting other parts of their ranges, someone could have started feeding, someone could have blocked a hole in their fence so the hogs have to find another route, etc. Of course, there are loads of hazards out there for the poor hogs, but the good news is that they or at least some of them normally reappear at some stage.

I think you are doing the right thing leaving food out (and hopefully water too) and hope that the hogs or some of them are back soon. Good luck.

Hi I’ve had exactly the same problem. No hedgehogs for 2 weeks now. I’ve been feeding them for over a year and could set my clock by them. The neighbours were worrying about rats and put poison down. The neighbours next door had used a bait box. I found 2 dead rats in my garden. Can hedgehogs fit in bait boxes? The regular visitor was very big but even he is not coming. I’ve been at the back secretly making holes in the fenced in case the neighbours have boarded up their fences to stop rats and I’m feeding in my front garden too to see if they can come from that direction, but nothing! I’m devastated and so worried about them. Do hedgehogs disappear sometimes, only to return a few weeks later. I’ll continue to feed and make my garden as hedgehog friendly as possible- I guess that’s all I can do! Any advice or info would be appreciated, thank you!

Nic

Hi Mcass

Yes, it can be very worrying when they all disappear, but it’s something that sometimes happen and normally, at least some of them return. I have been hedgehogless for several nights now and it’s unusual for here. But I know that it sometimes happens, so was bound to happen here sometime. All we can do is to hope for the best.

The rat poison is a bit worrying, but if your neighbours are using a bait box most hedgehogs wouldn’t get in there. So fingers crossed. Ideally people should leave the bait boxes in places which hogs can’t easily access, so hopefully they have, if they know there are hogs around.

Good luck, hope they return soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog