Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs in my garden :)

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs in my garden :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I had 2 adult mating hedgehogs in my garden in the summer. I now have at least 4 smaller ones coming into my garden every night to eat the food I’ve put out. I’ve recently installed 2 hog boxes incase any of them want to stay.

Nic

That’s lovely. So nice to be able to see the little ones grow up. I hope you get tenants in your hog boxes. It might encourage them to use them if you put some suitable nesting material near by. i.e. leaves, grasses, hay, straw, etc. You could put a very small amount in the boxes to give them the idea, but they usually like to make their nests themselves. Good luck.

Hello everyone we have had a hoggy visiting all summer and we put fresh water out everynight in that heat and food and hubby built a hoggy hutch. We ghink there may have been 2 visiting and they always came in the box, sadly a cat did it too and was pinching all the proper shop bought hedgehog food. We finally stopped the cat, one one my hubby was watchin our cctv and he saw it get in the box , we have a camera inside that too so he crept down the garden and as he got near the box the cat scrambled out , he was onyl going to scare it a little. We would never hurt an animal. Its been back since but dosn,t seem to go in the box. But anyway hes made a bigger box now for the 🦔 so he has more room . We put this down a week agao Nd have see him/her in the garden but not for Bout a week now , hence the food is waiting for him . We hope he returns ..ps id love to put some pics to show u all but dont know how on here x

Nic

Hi Valerie

Lovely to hear your hog stories. Cats can be an absolute pest, especially at this time of year when the remaining hogs really need the extra help in the run up to hibernation. The hog there may have gone to hibernate already, many have. In that case, you may need to wait until the Spring before he comes back. I would keep leaving some food out for a while yet, in case. Many people also leave food out all winter in case there are some hogs who decide not to hibernate.

If you want to put photos on here, you can either put them on Hedgehog Street, via the home page (which I understand sometimes takes a few days), or if you have them somewhere else on line you can just put a link on here. Alternatively if you can’t wait, you can temporarily turn your profile pic into an image of the hogs. It’s easy enough to change it again later.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog