Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs in Stocksbridge

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs in Stocksbridge

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Three hedgehogs spotted last night 29th March. All look well. Quite big and plump.

Before winter I put out 4 hedgehog houses with straw in. None have been used. I think I should have put dried leaves in instead. So rectified that today.

Thankfully we have enough spare at the top of the garden with cut grass mounds and leaves and twigs for them to hopefully have hibernated over the winter.

There is food put out each night – peanuts and chicken cat biscuits with water at the side. The food is put in different locations around the garden.

Nic

Hi Jennifer

It’s good to hear there are hogs back there. Re. the hog houses, some hogs like to do their own interior decorations, so it’s good idea to put just a little material in the hog house to give them the idea and provide a supply of it nearby which they can select for themselves. Sounds as if you have a plentiful supply in the garden.

Just a word re. peanuts. These days they are generally considered less than ideal for the hogs, having not too good a ratio of phosphorous and calcium. Not as bad as mealworms and raw chicken, but there are other things better. There is a table attached to this link from Vale:
    http://www.valewildlife.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Feeding-wild-hedgehogs.pdf

Good luck with the hogs. Fingers crossed for some hoglets later on!

Happy hog watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog