Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs not hibernating

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs not hibernating

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am still feeding hedgehogs, I haven’t stopped. It’s not other animals eating the food, I still visibly see the visiting hedgehogs. No idea if it is one or multiples, but over the course of the evening I see the food slowly go down from two bowls, and sometimes actually see a hedgehog eating. Never happened before feeding them through Christmas to new year.

Nic

Hi Ronnie01

Lucky you still having hedgehogs visiting!

Whilst most of them probably still hibernate, there seem to be quite a few reports on Hedgehog Street of hedgehogs choosing not to. Mostly youngsters, it seems, but to the extent that it isn’t that unusual these days. So well done keeping up with the feeding – and watering, I assume. If all goes well, they may have a head start on all their relatives who did hibernate!

Good luck. I hope they all do well and that 2024 is a good hedgehog year.

Hedgehogs are known for hibernating during the winter months as a way to conserve energy and survive the colder temperatures. However, if hedgehogs are not hibernating, it could indicate various factors such as the availability of food or milder weather conditions. Observing hedgehogs active during this time might be an interesting occurrence and could be influenced by environmental factors affecting their usual hibernation behavior.

I saw a hedgehog searching for food under the bird feeder about the middle of January so I started putting food out for the hedgehogs and one hedgehog has appeared every night since. I have a camera and have seen both males and females.

There have been reports of hedgehogs still around this winter period. Have been feeding up to three myself. Though seem to have thinned out now to around one. Will know when the cameras are brought in to have a look. Leave them out for around 6 days at a time. Keep the feeding and watering going.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog