Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs out during the day

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehogs out during the day

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Back at the beginning of July we noticed a rather large hedgehog roaming around the garden in the daytime. She seemed to be collecting leaves and after a bit of research we concluded she was probably pregnant and making a nest. Mid August 4 hoglets made an appearance along with the mum roaming around in the day and night. Since then they’ve continued the thrive, growing in size, are extremely active but quite regularly coming out in the daytime and have stayed together as a group. We estimate they are probably 13-14 weeks old now. I assume Hedgehogs being noturnal should be naturally instinctive but is there a possibility they are copying their mum who maybe didn’t get that “memo”? Is there any problems with them staying together as a group for this amount of time? They could quite easily fit under the garden gate should they want to leave but haven’t taken that option up yet.

Hi
    It is unusual for them to be out during the day time but it’s not unheard of. It sounds as if they are staying as a family group from what you’ve put here and it could be because it’s so late in the season and mum isn’t looking to breed again and therefore hasn’t left the hoglets. This is not a bad thing as long as they are all growing and thriving – I’m assuming you are feeding them also?

To be honest as it’s not alway’s possible to get an accurate picture to give advice to on here I would contact you nearest carer for a proper chat.

When I had a organic vegetable growing plot in my garden, in late summer I saw a pregnant hedgehog gathering up dried vegetation and taking it back to her nest. She seemed to know exactly what she was doing so I wasn’t at all concerned.

I’ve now got another living in one of my hog houses that knocks the straw-indicator out of the entrance during the daytime. I’ve never actually seen her out. She also comes out a little before sunset.

Then there was the incident during this year’s dry spell when I watered the climbing rose by the fence and an indignant (and quite wet) hedgehog abandoned its hiding place under the mulching vegetation.

I’d only be really concerned if I found one wandering aimlessly and maybe showing other signs of distress.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog