Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehogs visiting

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs visiting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Does anyone still have hedgehogs visiting? I am putting food out every night and its disappearing. I presume they are not hibernating yet

Nic

Hi Terri002

Most hogs will be hibernating by now, but there are quite a few left out and about. I still have two here – this year’s hoglets. Some hedgehogs decide not to hibernate at all, although that is the exception rather than the rule. There is, though, the possibility that something else is eating the food you are putting out. I have been unintentionally feeding half the neighbourhood cats, as well as the hogs, it seems! I don’t suppose you have a night cam so you can check?

Hi Nic

I have made a hedgehog feeding box but I dont think the cats can get in. I am going to put the camera out tonight to check

Just seen a hedgehog scurrying across the lawn. I followed to see where it was going and it looked like it was going to bed! It seemed healthy enough the way it was moving but quite small. Do I need to be worried about it?

Yes-
    We still have a regular visitor who feeds and drinks water.

Nic

Hi Terri002

If you think it looks small, the best thing to do is to weigh it. 450g is the recommended weight needed to survive hibernation. I would contact your local carer (you can find the nearest from the BHPS 01584 890801) before weighing to get their advice and see whether they can take the little one in, if necessary.

If you do decide to weigh the little hog there are some tips under this topic:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/advice-on-weighing-a-juvenile/

Good luck.

I think some of my hogs have finally gone to bed!! There were still a few images on the camera but far fewer than normal and hardly any food was taken!! Hopefully they are all big enough to survive and I will look forwards to seeing them in Spring! I am leaving food and drink out anyway just in case they wake up for a snack.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog