Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgiehogs made it through winter.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgiehogs made it through winter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Last year I purchased a hedgehog habitat and against advice I set it up in my leanto.
    I wanted them to have the best chance of surviving the winter.
    I left straw laying around & I insulated the hibernacular by placing it on wooden planks rather than on the stone floor.
    I knew they were occasionally waking as I saw poo a few times.
    I gingerly checked the habitat in April to see a lovely tunnel of straw with no hedgehogs,
    So I knew they had been moving between sites.
    I was delighted to see them again a week later scoffing.
    They poo a lot.
    Im cleaning it up everyday & a wallpaper scraper does the job well.
    Now i see them every night & they are rutting etc.
    I wasnt sure what was happening at first as they just kept circling around each other & being noisy.
    Now I know they were building up to mating.
    Im really hoping I see babies.
    I cant believe my luck.
    An owl flew over my head a month ago.
    I see two foxes on the road & I live in one of the busiest roads in Bham.

Nic

Hi Ziggysue

Great news that the hogs survived the winter!

It’s always a good sign if you see the courtship circling. Pretty good confirmation that there are a male and a female, which is a good start. Fingers crossed for some hoglets later on! It’s the female who does the huffing and, yes, they certainly can make a lot of noise.

You are so lucky having an owl flying over your head! What a treat!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog